How cinnamon can help for an obese person
Obesity is a serious problem and each year the number of obese people in national and international level increases. Obesity leads to numerous health complications and even death. Therefore, certain measures have to be introduced to deal with this condition. If you are overweight or obese you can start solving this problem by introducing a few habits to your lifestyle along with proper diet and exercise. One of these habits can be consumption of cinnamon which is extremely helpful in weight loss.
5 ways cinnamon can help you lose weight
Lowers LDL cholesterol
LDL or low density lipoprotein is considered as the “bad” cholesterol. It represents a massive threat and potentially leads to heart attack or other cardiovascular diseases, and stroke. Overweight or obese people have high levels of LDL cholesterol. Cinnamon has the ability to decrease the LDL cholesterol which is beneficial for your heart health. Regular consumption of cinnamon also decreases BMI (Body Mass Index).
Controls insulin levels
Cinnamon is characterized by its unique ability to imitate the activity of insulin in our body. Insulin helps us regulate blood sugar levels. By regulating blood sugar levels, cinnamon prevents the excess fat from building. Moreover, this spice controls insulin quantities and directly acts on the blood sugar itself. Additionally, adding cinnamon to your meal reduces its glycemic index by 18-29%. Consumption of foods with lower glycemic index is crucial for avoiding the increase of blood sugar levels and also help to reduce the blood pressure.
It is similar to eating hot peppers, consumption of cinnamon speeds up your metabolism which burns more calories and assists the weight loss.
Aides in burning body fat
Regular consumption of cinnamon affects the abdominal fat which is good news because fat located in this area of one’s body is usually the most complicated to eliminate. Therefore, cinnamon will help you reach desired shape and weight while improving your health. Abdominal fat is a major threat to your overall health as it is situated around the vital organs in your body.
Constant hunger is the biggest enemy of weight loss. Moreover, according to experts, this constant hunger is usually psychological rather than biological occurrence. The greatest benefit of cinnamon in weight loss is its ability to make you feel full for a longer period of time which decreases the consumption of food.
How to use cinnamon
Cinnamon belongs to the group of superfoods and can be found in all households, usually used while baking etc. Here are some examples how you can include cinnamon into your lifestyle and lose weight:
- Mix it into your protein shake
- Drink honey and cinnamon tea every morning
- Add it to your tea or coffee
- Sprinkle cinnamon on your breakfast cereal or oatmeal
- Add it to your freshly made fruit juice etc.
FDA branded cinnamon as generally recognized as safe and this spice doesn’t induce some side effects. Cinnamon supplements are also available, but before you purchase supplements it is advised to contact your doctor first.
Other benefits of cinnamon
The consumption of cinnamon leads us back to 2000 BC and Ancient Egypt where it was highly appreciated. During the medieval times it was used for treatment of sore throat, arthritis, or coughing. Modern researches stated that cinnamon has a wide range of health benefits like:
- Fights against bacterial and fungal infections
- Improves glucose and lipids levels in patients with Type 2 diabetes
- Prevents Alzheimer’s disease
- May, potentially, be effective against HIV – but more studies are needed to confirm this
- Prevents destructive process of multiple sclerosis
- Treats and heals chronic wounds.
Overweight and obesity facts
- Worldwide obesity doubled since 1980.
- In 2014, more than 1.9 billion people older than 18 were overweight. Moreover, of these 1.9 billion people, 600 million were obese. This means that 39% adults were overweight, while 13% of them were obese.
- In 2013, 42 million children under the 5 years of age were classified as overweight or obese.
- 2 in 3 adults are considered as overweight or obese.
- 1 in 6 children and adolescents are overweight or obese.
- 1 in 20 people have extreme obesity.
- 8% of women are classified as extremely obese.
As statistics show, overweight and obesity is a major problem that leads to numerous health complications and potentially death. Cinnamon is an excellent way to start losing weight while improving your overall health. However, you still need to eat healthy foods and exercise to get back into shape.
Kathy Mitchell was born and raised in USA. She has done MA in English literature and she loves to write articles on health and beauty. Also she is contributing to consumer health digest since 2011.Her articles are both professional and creative. She loves to read health product reviews online. You can contact her on Facebook and twitter.